Biryani is a traditional rice recipe in South Asia. Biryani is actually very special and popular main rice dish in India and Pakistani cuisine. Particularly in Hyderabad, India and in Karachi, Pakistan. Biryani is considered part of the Muslim Food in Indian cuisine, so Biryani is usually more popular in regions with significant Muslim population. Biryani is also served on special occasions weddings parties, Eid-ul-fitr, Eid-ul Adha and so on. There are many varieties and flavors of Biryani such as Hyderabadi biryani, Sindhi Biryani, Prawn Biryani, Vegetable biryani and many more.
Chicken Biryani – Simple and Easy Recipe
* 1 kg chicken (breast and chicken thighs)
* 1/2 kg potatoes (optional)
* 1 kg basmati rice
* 3 cup yogurt
* 1/2 cup green chilies paste
* 2 medium size onions
* 2 tsp red chili powder
* 1 tsp cumin seeds
* 1 tsp ginger paste
* 1 tsp garlic paste
* 1 tsp black pepper
* 6 cloves
* 4 cardamon
* 4 green cardamon
* 1 inch cinnamon stick
* 2 bay leaves
* 4 green chilies
* 1 tbsp lemon juice
* 1 tblsp of biryani masala
* coriander leaves
* Yellow food color few drops
* Salt to taste
* Oil 1 cup
* Wash and soak the rice in plenty of water for 2 hours.
Heat oil in a pan and fry slice onions till golden brown. Drain and keep set aside.
Peel and cut potatoes into small pieces, wash and keep set aside.
* In the same oil , add chicken and saute for 2-3 minutes on a low flame. Add cumin seeds, bay leaves, green chilies paste, red chili powder, biryani masala, salt, yogurt, ginger paste, garlic paste, cloves, black peeper, cardamon, green cardamon, cinnamon stick, lemon juice, potatoes. Cook ’till chicken and potatoes completely done and oil start to separate.
* In a big pot bring water to boil, add some salt, green chilies and rice for boiling. Continue to cook until the rice almost done. It takes about 10 minutes on stove. Drain the rice and keep set aside.
* Now its time to arrange rice and chicken layers. You should have two layers of rice and one layer of chicken gravy.
* sprinkle with yellow food color, coriender leaves and fried onions.
* Simple and easy chicken biryani is ready to serve. Before serving mix the rice well and serve hot with raaita.