- 1 chocolate cake mix, 2-layer size
- 2 cups whipping cream or heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1 ounce shaved semisweet chocolate
Prepare chocolate cake following directions on package, making 2 round 9-inch layers. Cool cake thoroughly. In a small bowl, beat the cream with the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form.
Place one cake layer on a cake plate and spread with about 3/4 cup of the whipped cream. Top with half of the cherry pie filling, then top that with the second chocolate cake layer. Spread the side of the cake with half of the remaining whipped cream. Spoon remaining pie filling on top of cake, keeping it in the center. Spoon or pipe remaining cream around the cherries. Sprinkle the whipped cream around edge with shaved semisweet chocolate.